ESCHEL is a community of Christian families working together to enhance their children’s home education. We offer classes for home-educated students from preschool through high school.
ESCHEL began in 1987 with eight families who met at First Evangelical Free Church in St. Paul. In 1990, we moved to the Salvation Army Temple in Maplewood. In 1996, we added grades 7-10 and became a non-profit corporation. We moved to Hope Church of Oakdale, MN in 2012, and we now have approximately fifty families participating.
Starting Fall 2020, ESCHEL will meet on Tuesdays from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. We also offer an optional afternoon class from 1:30-2:30. Our school year begins in September and ends in May, with an extended break in December. We meet at Hope Church at 7910 15th Street North in Oakdale, MN. We conduct classes for children from preschool through high school. During class time, parents are free to leave the building if they have no assigned duties.
For students in preschool through sixth grade, ESCHEL is not a cafeteria-style program. Only junior high and high school courses are offered on an a la carte basis. Our elementary students benefit from participating in all offered courses for their grade level, allowing for a consistent student population in a classroom atmosphere.
ESCHEL’s program is divided into preschool, elementary, junior high, and high school divisions.
What is Expected from Members
For more details about member expectations, see our Member Handbook.
- Timely payment of tuition and fees
- Serving during class days up to six times per year AND
- Facilitating one assigned extra curricular activity per year
What Makes Us Unique
- Classes for children from preschool through high school taught by qualified tutors, with homework, parent/tutor conferences, and report cards
- Many optional group experiences including service opportunities and field trips
- Class days for personal use when parents have no assigned ESCHEL duties